Friday 23 July 2010

Palm oil-free personal hygiene: alternatives.

As I blogged a few days ago, finding personal hygiene products that are free of palm oil is not always an easy task. Indeed, after spending maybe twenty minutes reading the labels of every single line, I failed to do so at my local supermarket.

In searching for alternatives that are available locally, I stumbled upon a solution that had not occurred to me: DIY. Nothing like a little improvisation to rid oneself of palm oil.

Shampoo: Hardly a significant issue for somebody with hair of my length, but nonetheless an experiment to try. A quick searched revealed that others have also considered going down the shampoo-free path before I did (not really a surprise). Having a lemon tree makes the lemon juice idea appealing, and having baking soda in the cupboard is also convenient.

Soap: More difficult to improvise. Again, a quick search revealed palm oil-free soap recipes, but these require ingredients, time and facilities that I do not have to hand at the moment. Whilst making my own soap will be a longer term aim, it isn't an option now.

No comments:

Post a Comment